Saturday, June 19, 2010

Toy Story 3: Al Fresco

Living in Ohio has a few perks. We get to "enjoy" four seasons of weather and, strange as it may seem, our state is tied for the most working drive-in movie theaters in the country. Ohioans enjoy bringing their own snacks and citronella candles to the cinema. The Heathen Family is no exception.

Last night, in the shadow of the runway at Wright-Patterson Air Force base, we saw Toy Story 3.  I mention the runway because at one point during the movie a cargo plane took off and I missed a bit of dialogue.  No matter. It's all part of the drive-in experience. Also, gale force wind and rain, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

When last we left our intrepid toys, they were choosing to embrace love and life with a child, over a sterile eternity under museum glass. In Toy Story 3, Woody and the gang face the inevitable consequences of their decision. Andy is all grown-up and leaving for college. No more playtime.

I laughed, I cried....I packed up all of my stuff in the middle of the movie because the wind started to blow really hard and the rain threatened to soak us... I would will see it again and again.

Actually, the rain abated and we watched the rest of the movie inside the car.  The drops on the windshield made for a less than hi-def experience, but at that point it didn't matter much. Woody was in trouble, serious trouble.  All we cared about was making sure he was okay.  Violet was vibrating with agitation. She experiences new movies with her whole being.

Do you remember the scene in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves where Robin is trying to rescue the Sherwood Forest gang from a hanging? Maid Marion suddenly lets out with a blood curdling "ROBIN!!!!!"  It's the best, most visceral scream I've ever heard in a movie that didn't involve sleep away camp.  Anywho, that is what Violet sounded like as she screamed, "WOODY!!!!" during the most terrifying scene in the movie.

Here's the ONLY clip I could find containing said scream from Robin Hood.  It happens at the 55 second mark, if you want to fast forward past Kevin Costner looking worried and shooting arrows.  I'll totally judge you for skipping the deliciousness that is early 90s cinema, but whatever. Just imagine Violet's rumpled little head in place of Mary Elizabeth Mastran-whatsherface and you'll have a close approximation of last night's wail from the back seat.





So yeah, go see TS3 and then stick your hand in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart and pull out a copy of Robin Hood, because that kind of nostalgia is intoxicating. Don't believe me? Visit this link* and prepare to be transported back to the land of mullets and the first Gulf War.

*This is totally a Bryan Adams video and I would have embedded it, you know for your convenience and all, but some Canadian has let fame go to his head and won't allow me to do that.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin