Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wardrobe Wednesday

One of my husband's co-workers gave him a huge bag of old linens and towels. Apparently, it's gotten around that I'm good at transforming garbage into useful stuff. There was a particularly cheesy set of cheap, baby blue, polyester queen size sheets in the sack and I held on to them to use as an emergency spare for our bed. Well, yesterday I was looking for some fabric to practice a new dress pattern on and I decided that these sheets would make a fine jumper for Violet, if I didn't totally screw it up.

It actually looks much better in the photo than it does in person. I used a McCall's pattern (5613) and it came together pretty easily, even though I didn't read it before starting and was surprised by a totally superfluous piece of elastic that I was supposed to install at the back of the thing. I left out the elastic, because I'm a renegade... and I didn't have any that was small enough.  The dress is loose for lack of the elastic, but I like it that way.  I also changed the configuration of the button holes because the straps were waaaaay to long and I was not about to undo the whole damn dress just to shorten the straps.  So, the straps are under the front flap, with the buttonholes on the front.  I can move the buttons if Violet suddenly (miraculously) gets taller.

OH, and in case you haven't been counting each precious post as you read it, this is my 300th entry. Gifts of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries will be gladly accepted.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin