Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Breakfast Casserole is Not a Feast for the Eyes

@randomblogette asked for my breakfast casserole recipe.  Actually, it isn't mine. I stole it from some anonymous cook on the internet and it's less of a recipe than a method.

The original list of ingredients:
32oz bag of frozen hash browns
1 lb of sausage, cooked
1 lb of bacon, cooked
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1 diced onion
12 eggs, beaten
salt, pepper, dry mustard

This is ridiculous, non?  I was only feeding three people and one of them was unlikely to eat it (Violet, ahem). I cut this recipe in half, omitted the bacon and substituted red pepper for onion.  I added onion powder, because frozen potatoes tend to be kind of flat tasting. I also used the diced variety of potatoes because the shredded kind NEVER taste good under my care.

Basically, you just layer this like a lasagna in your crock and then pour the eggs over the whole thing.  My layers were: potato, peppers, sausage, cheese.  I added the spices directly to the eggs.

The full recipe requires 10-12 hours on low, but my half recipe was a little over done.  8 hours would have been better for mine. Oh, and it is NOT pretty. Close your eyes. Do not look directly at the casserole. Just eat it. Notice, I did not photograph this. It would have looked like those awful photos you find in old microwave cookbooks.

I will do it again next year. It was hearty and required no effort on my part. Add a timed coffee maker and you can enjoy a fine breakfast without delaying any of the wrapping paper carnage on Christmas morning.

If you make your own, let me know how it turns out, m'kay.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin