Thursday, March 26, 2009

Better Homes & Gardens I am NOT

Over a month ago I made a trip to IKEA.  You may recall that I had a plan, a very specific plan, for The Pink Room.  I bought shelving and tables and table legs and the entire BYGEL product line to store bits and bobs on my wall.  I was very excited. 

Then I was felled by the Ninja Flu and the plan completely unraveled.  I wanted to be able to show you a room worthy of a blog like Maya*Made or Sew Liberated.  The reality is, I don't live neatly and I have no time or patience for removing the spectacularly hideous wallpaper.  I try my best to clean up my mess, but in the end, the mess is me.

So, without further ado, I give you the newly reorganized and slighlty less disastrous Pink Room.

 
Here's a close-up of that fine, iridescent paper. The green shelves are from the AS-IS section at IKEA, so I only paid $2 each for them. Score! The Rubbermaid brand uprights were not cheap.

 
I wanted to have one continuous table the length of the room (sewing on side, paper crafts on the other), but the dimensions of our borrowed truck limited my choice of table tops.  So, I have two tables with a mismatched board spanning the two. Classy.

 
Here are the BYGEL storage thingies. They are meant for use in the kitchen, but I've repurposed them for supplies. 

 
Here is Violet's corner of the room.  It gets a lot of light and she can do her thing while I'm sewing. Also, notice the homemade curtains that do not match and used to be twin sized sheets. Crafty+Cheap=Awesome!

 
Um, yeah. Here's all the crap that used to be on the floor.  See, I've watched Wall-E a lot over the winter and I've learned that the best thing to do with garbage is to stack it vertically and hope it doesn't fall over. Anybody want a non-digital 13" TV? No? How about a copy of the Friends trivia game?

 
On a swanky craft blog, this shot would be of neatly folded and color coordinated piles of gorgeous designer fabric.  Here at chez Heathen you get to see my tiny pile of clearance bin designer fabric and my enormous collection of salvaged towels and outgrown clothes. I have plans for all that. Yes, I do.
There you have it. Now, I can really make a mess in there.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin