Saturday, October 18, 2008

Oh Yeah Babe, I Hate Video Games Too!

 
Approximately 8 years, six weeks and 2 days ago I had my first real conversation with Aaron. We were both working the cash register at a bookstore and it was a slow night. He was clearly interested and like any charming rogue, he knew that most women are easily seduced by the sound of their own voice. Aaron started asking me the usual flirty questions. "Where are you from?" "What's your favorite book?" "Do you have a husband/boyfriend/illegitimate child?" Blah, Blah Blah. I played along, answering like a charming smart ass, until he asked me, "What do you look for in a guy?" The question plucked at a sore spot in my psyche and I blurted out; "I'll tell you what I'm NOT looking for. I don't want to date anyone who plays video games! I hate them." I'm sure I probably elaborated. Perhaps, I recited my list of grievances with previous boyfriends and their damned game machines. He quickly agreed with me and then changed the subject. Our courtship started in earnest and before I knew it I was waking up in Aaron's tiny one bedroom apartment more often than I was waking up in my own bed. About two weeks in, he got that I have to tell you something look on his face. Here it comes, I thought. He's about to tell me he has an STD or a wife or a criminal record. Aaron got up and went to the closet and pulled a towel wrapped object from the top shelf. It was a PlayStation. Aaron had no idea how I was going to react to this and he was well aware of the risk he was taking. He had lied to me. I said I hated video games and he instantly made the decision to hide his gaming passion. Given my explosive speech, he probably feared that I would get up and leave, but I already loved him. I was so relieved that this was his terrible secret that I told him as much. Yes, I told my futue husband that I loved him while he clutched the machine I had feared the most. I told him it was okay. I assured him that if he had managed to keep his hands off of it for two whole weeks, he must have more self control than other men with video game festishes. Of course, I now know that the only thing that will distract a man from his PlayStation is a naked lady and since I was mostly naked during those first weeks of our relationship, the game machine was easily forgotten.
Aaron's Man Cave accessories multiplied rapidly in the light of day. In fact, my mother-in-law was so incredulous when we announced our hasty marriage, that she said she would buy Aaron a PlayStation 2 if he could produce a valid marriage license. These days, I'm not naked nearly enough to keep the digital beasts at bay. I now live with a PlayStation 3, a PlayStation Portable, a Wii (which I actually use) and this unfinished monstrosity arcade game cabinet you see here.

On Monday, Aaron and I will be married 8 years. I am so glad he lied to me about that DAMN PlayStation...
He's the best thing that ever happened to me.

*************************
Does your husband have a Man Cave, or at least the stuff to fill it? Tell The Parent Bloggers Network and BillMeLater all about it and you could win seed money for future additions to the cave.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin