Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hello, Lover!

Once upon a time, my Grandmother bought herself a really fancy sewing machine.  I mean REALLY fancy.  She got herself a zig-zag machine.  It made button holes and had special embroidery cams that could be changed for making snazzy designs.


Of course, changing from straight stitch to zig-zag involved dragging out the manual and setting dials and flipping the stitch plate and maybe even adjusting the bobbin tension. Imagine needing to change the oil in the car, before every trip.  That's what this sewing machine was like. It weighed as much as a car too.

It was a really reliable, sturdy sewing machine.  The kind of sewing machine that would NEVER die.  Twinkies, cockroaches and the Kenmore 1774 would band together after the apocalypse to rebuild the earth.  Being the sensible, salt-of-the-earth kind of woman that she is, my Grandmother couldn't just cast this machine aside when lighter, faster, friendlier stitchers became available.  No. That would be wrong...and wasteful...unless some poor college student desperately needed a sewing machine...

The Kenmore 1774 has a decade of age on me.  My Grandmother gleefully handed it over and then skipped off to pick up something made of plastic that wouldn't give her a hernia every time she tried to move it.  It has served me well.  I learned to sew on it. We've laughed and cried together. I've nearly blinded myself with it's snapping machine needles more times than I care to think about.  Good times.

 
  
I wish I could hold out until Violet is ready to learn how to sew, but I can't. I mean, look at that plug. This thing is clearly a fire hazard.  In exchange for favors of the intimate variety,  my husband has gifted me with a brand new sewing machine. 

The Kenmore 1774  has eaten my fabric for the last time.

Say hello to the Singer Confidence 7463 Electronic Sewing Machine. According to the box, Martha Stewart,  like totally approves of this purchase. Oh, and the stitch panel is purple.  Weee!


 
This is why you haven't seen me lately and why I've been sewing anything that will fit under the presser foot.  Seriously, I have plans to make my own cloth napkins.  As for old reliable, I will place it under my sewing table, as a back-up.  Someday I might need it...as a weapon.  It could really do some damage if thrown with great force at an oncoming intruder.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin