Saturday, October 11, 2008

Eavesdropping...

We in the Heathen Family get really excited over nerdy fun. Last night, for instance, Aaron and I went to the county library sale. It's held in an enormous, dusty space at a local event arena that Aaron swears causes him to have an attack of IBS.

*Side note: As a former employee of a bookstore and and a current wife to an IBS sufferer, I have observed that places that sell or loan books suffer from a lot of smelly bathroom traffic. Is it a coincidence or does paper activate the bowels?

Anywhooo, I am sitting on the floor at the library sale, evaluating the 200 picture books that I hastily grabbed from the already ransacked tables and I zero in on a nearby conversation. The mother/daughter pair looked familiar and I soon realized that I had seen them at the downtown library returning a massive quantity of books. I listened to the mother's conversation with a teacher-like person and I soon realized that she was a homeschooling parent. I observed she had about three boxes of books to buy and her daughter was polite, attentive and dressed creatively (not like a member of the Jr. Prostitutes Society). As a pair the mother and daughter looked happy and only spoke in positive upbeat tones. As I turned away from that intrusion, I noticed a young woman sliding her box of books over to my sorting area and I indicated that I wouldn't mind if she moved closer, out of the way of passing people.  I commented on a book she was considering and then she started talking to her friend, who inquired about her 2nd Graders. I was then treated to a dismal account of her classroom, where most of her kids were reading at a kindergarten level. She went on to describe how she spent most of her day settling the kids down to move on to the next topic. "The transitions are a nightmare!" Her tone was negative, if not downright venomous. I looked back at the happy homeschool family and decided to take another pass at the tables to look for teaching materials...

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin