Saturday, August 9, 2008

Would I Look Lame with an Olympic Tattoo?


I have not been gifted with great athletic potential or skill. I don't fly the flag or wear an I HEART USA lapel pin. I practice patriotism through tough love. I rarely watch any sports on TV (tennis being the exception) and I am a totally non-competitive kind of gal during odd numbered years.

But now, it is August 2008 and I have cried in my living room three times already watching the Olympic proceedings. Come next swim season I won't be able to pick Michael Phelps out of a line-up, but right now I would believe it if he announced that he has a cure for war and AIDS and athlete's foot and it is contained in a single drop of his chlorine-scented sweat. I have Olympic coverage streaming in my house 24/7. I cheered when the Iraqi delegation walked into the opening ceremonies. I yearn for a little white newsboy cap to wear as I watch the events. I wish that there was such a thing as Olympic Dog Walking, or Olympic Spelling Words for Bad-Speller Spouse, so that I could participate in the only world wide event that does not involve killing people. I want to hold hands with the athletes of the world and sing Kumbaya and have my heroic efforts featured in a montage commercial for McDonalds. I want Bob Costas to narrate a mini-biography about the hard road I walked to reach my Olympic dream. Kelly overcame the greatest of odds, a complete lack of natural athletic talent...

For two weeks, I will enjoy the thrill of competition. I will root for our team. I will watch people run and jump over stuff and I will weep, without a hint of irony. At the end of these 14 Olympic days I will return to my normal apathetic self, until 2010. The Winter Olympics REALLY get me excited...



*As a side note, to further illustrate my all-consuming and unexplainable Olympic fetish, my daughter's middle name is Picabo. Like Picabo Street, the Olympic downhill skier. Oh yeah, believe it!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin